Cockfield United

Cockfield United

After what seemed an overly long wait for the season to commence both sides first games were finally upon us. A good pre-season including some impressive wins and new faces meant the 1sts came into their opening game in good spirits as we welcomed Tacket Street BBOB to the Green in a fixture that had featured 15 goals and a win apiece in the two encounters last season.
Tacket started the game slightly the brighter of the two teams in the first 20 looking to get their dangerous no. 10 one on one as often as they could to try and run at our back four and initially they had some success but the final ball was well dealt with by the defence and keeper Brinkley was only forced into one meaningful save; tipping over the bar to save well. As the game wore on we began to find our composure and get on the ball more and cause Tacket problems; Liam Banks and Tim Francis having efforts well saved and Spivey and Tuson unable to finish clear cut chances. Tacket were struggling to make inroads now as Cockfield were in the ascendancy but they did rattle the cross bar when on the break a thumping 30 yard effort crashed against the woodwork. Fortunately for Cockfield the pressure eventually told when an excellent cross from Banks found Hudson-Hill at the far post, unable to force home he showed good composure to turn and lay off for Spivey to roll into the unguarded net on 30 minutes. Things soon got better as Spivey returned the favour when his good through ball was seized upon by Hudson-Hill to round the keeper and roll home into the empty net for 2-0 at half time.
The second half saw Cockfield seemingly increase their grip on the game as they dominated the ball and the chances as Tacket struggled to make inroads. We thought we had a golden opportunity to extend our lead when Tuson was brought unceremoniously to the floor for what seemed like a stonewall penalty only for the otherwise excellent referee to give a free kick the other way much to everyone on the sidelines bemusement. This was soon punished when a good turn on the edge of the box from the Tacket centre forward left our defence on its heels and the player finished well to reduce the arrears to 2-1 with their first real chance of the half. Fortunately we didn’t panic as Tacket tried to push and we still looked the more likely of the two to find the next goal and that duly came when some fine one and two touch passing from Little, Francis, Nicholson and Gethin allowed Nicholson to wriggle free in the box and get a shot away which was well saved by the keeper but the ever alert Spivey was on hand for his second of the afternoon and his 102nd goal for the 1st team in just 55 appearances – an incredible record. We proceeded to see out the game comfortably although Tacket did create one last chance near the end which was well saved on the angle as Brinkley made himself big.
In the end a comfortable and deserved 3-1 win in which after the opening period we controlled decisively with our defensive solidity, quick passing and good movement. It was particularly pleasing to see us finish strongly and see the game out when things were tight - as in past seasons that has been an issue for us so hopefully now we have matured in those situations. The back four of Garrad, Ennis, Tuson and Bullett were solid all afternoon protected well by Little and Francis, in particular, limiting Tacket to scraps and allowed us a base to create chances for our dangerous front three. The pick of the players on the day was Simon Nicholson in the middle of the park who linked up well all over the park, providing a goal threat from midfield and tireless work in defence. A real all action display.
The Reserves made a good day a brilliant day with a quite outstanding 7-0 opening day victory against newly promoted Leiston St Margarets Reserves. Starting in a 4-4-1-1 formation the game was tight in the opening exchanges but as the game progressed the central midfield duo of Matt Snape and Dave Grant gradually wrestled control our way along with the back four outstandingly lead by Joe Brinkley. We lead 3-0 at the break thanks to goals from Sam Nicholson, Ryan Mannell and an OG which was just rewards for a dominant end to the half.
In the second half there was no let up and the goals kept coming with Ryan Mannell adding his second, Chris Couves, Matt Snape with a long range blockbuster and Tom Ware rounding off the scoring. It was an excellent performance from the reserves to a man with stand in manager for the week Kev Podbury claiming they all played so well it was hard to know who to sub!! MOM was Joe Brinkley who didn’t put a foot wrong and talked and organised everyone to really good effect throughout.
Up the Cocks!

Club profile

Posted: Monday, September 3 2018 by Tom O'Leary

The views expressed in club/league notes are not necessarily those of Archant Suffolk

Can't see your club?

If you can't find your club, we need your help!

All our pages are provided and updated by the clubs themselves. Use the link below to find out more.

Become a correspondent

Already a correspondent?

If you've already registered with us as a correspondent, use the link below to go to your admin page where you can add match reports, club notes, and update your club profile.

Correspondent menu

Most read

Championship League table

League One table