Capel Plough

Having done these notes for almost 20 years I know full well that this is not the place to discuss club affairs but after the events on Saturday concerning our reserve team then all I want to say at present is that our club needs to sort something out before next season. Several call offs on Friday and Saturday morning meant that just 7 players turned up ready to travel to Benhall St. Mary for an Inter B league game. It was left to muggins (that's me ) to phone their secretary Geoff Brown at 1-00pm to tell him that we would not be playing and our club apologises for the inconvenience caused. One of the players who called off had a hangover so maybe once his hangover has cleared he could join our committee and help run things. He could start by marking out the reserve pitch this week, but on second thoughts maybe not as if he has still got his hangover then the lines may be a bit wonky ! (Must not lose my sense of humour ! ) I have informed the league secretary that our club will do all we can to complete our fixtures having 12 weeks to play 8 games starting with Stonham Aspal at home this week.
To be honest I was more upset with having to call off the reserve game so late then I was when our first team went out of the Bob Coleman Cup three hours later after being beaten 3-0 by A F C Kesgrave who scored three times after the break to progress to the quarter finals. We had Gary Treanor in goal in the absence of Tom Willliams and to be fair to Gary he did not have much chance with the three efforts that beat him. With Ben Baldwin suspended and Lee Barrett working we lost Gary Collins who was injured in training and picked up three more injuries during the game playing the last 20 minutes with ten men as we had used all our substitutes. However by then the damage had been done by a Kesgrave side who came within 12 minutes of losing being 2-0 down when the first game was abandoned the previous week. Daniel Alderson had our best chance in the first half firing just over while Stephen Morrison hit the crossbar with a second half freekick but on the day I thought that our opponents wanted it more and deserved their win and we wish them all the best in the next round. Good to hear that their injured player Sam Bennett is recovering at home and we hope that he is not off work for too long. Andrew Eley refereed both our games and I like the way he explains his decision to players during play and he had another good game on Saturday.
Craig Parry who suffered a double leg break in October is on the mend but is still limping and it could be some time before he makes up his mind whether to play again with coaching being another option for this unlucky player while our striker Adam Rawthorn could be missing for the rest of season after breaking a couple of ribs against Shotley last month.
Our Veteran team beat Ipswich Valley Rangers 5-1 yesterday with Aaron Marsh scoring a hat trick and Wayne Pannell grabbing a brace.
Finally this week sees the first team at Trimley for the first meeting of the season against Felixstowe Harpers.

Club profile

Posted: Monday, February 6 2017 by Bob Morrison

The views expressed in club/league notes are not necessarily those of Archant Suffolk

Can't see your club?

If you can't find your club, we need your help!

All our pages are provided and updated by the clubs themselves. Use the link below to find out more.

Become a correspondent

Already a correspondent?

If you've already registered with us as a correspondent, use the link below to go to your admin page where you can add match reports, club notes, and update your club profile.

Correspondent menu

Most read

Championship League table

League One table