Old Newton United

Old Newton United

Well what a game we had last Saturday as we travelled to Bildeston for a 1st v 2nd clash. This was a fixture the lads were looking forward to, with both teams wanting a win to put the pressure on the teams around them.
It was great to see DeeJam and his better half there, always good to have James covering the game in the professional manner that he does and show casing what the Suffolk & Ipswich league is all about , thanks for coming along.
The game itself was end to end with both teams not letting up, a great advert for the league! Bildeston started the game not giving anything up and chasing everything for the first twenty minutes, with the useful Munson up front having a couple of good chances, but thankfully couldn’t find the target. We then settled into the game with Jake and Bolts getting plenty of the ball. We took the lead following a good flick from Austin and Jake winning a tackle to put Austin through to smash past the keeper. Our lead didn’t last long, Bildeston were playing the long ball over the top which Sharp capitalised on to smash the ball into the net just before half time.
With a few words said at half time we came out for the second half to take a 2-1 lead within minutes of the restart when Lewis Rampley, who was having a great game, put a great cross into the box for Robbo to come on to it and head into the corner. A great start to second half! We were now pushing hard and created a few more chances with some good play, unfortunately the final ball just didn’t happen. Bildeston where always pressing on the break and trying to get the equaliser. Pav pulled off a fantastic save during the last 5 minutes. Munsons free kick from just outside the box was well struck and heading into the top corner leaving Pav to turn around the post at full stretch, a real contender for save of the season! The lads defended as a unit, dug in for the remainder of the game and got the result. We now have six games left and need to keep pushing until then end to get the job done.
MOTM went to the Ramps for his nonstop running, causing some problems. Donkey this week was a hard one but has to go to Wez.
This week we welcome Coddenham, who are looking for points at the opposite end of the table.

Last week the Reserves traveled to Henley for an Intermediate A game.
We started lively, soon creating plenty of chances.
Within the first 20 mins of the first half we scored 4 goals (Barty x2 & Shave x2) to make it 4-0. Unfortunately this resulted in us losing focus, which Henley took advantage of to score 2 goals before half time to make it 4-2.
We scored within the first 10 mins of the second half through John Hutton and then again soon after with a goal from Miles, making the score 6-2 which put the game to bed.
Henley scored from the penalty spot just before full time to make the final score 6-3.
This week we travel to Wenhaston with a few lads missing due to over commitments which will again give opportunities to others to step up to the Reserves.

Saturday saw the A’s making the journey up the A140 to Occold, who are sitting a respectful 4th in the league. Going into the match we were down 7 players from the previous weeks squad due to work and other commitments. We managed to get a squad of 12 together, but even in the warm up 3 players were on-route and delayed getting there, 2 arrived to make the last 10 minutes of the warm up but still no sign of the goalie. As we made our way to the changing room to get our shirts he arrived and rushed to get ready!
With the match underway and Newton well, I don’t know really where we were, found ourselves 1-0 with only 1m 7 seconds on the clock. A long throw into the box caught us by surprise and the front man getting the slightest of touches put it beyond Juppy. We found it difficult to get the ball down and play due to the condition of the pitch, with bobbles and lose balls going astray!! Occold pushed and with a looping ball in the box bouncing awkwardly and rebounding off the Newton keeper the Occold striker happily slotting the ball home to make it 2-0 within the first 15minutes. We all thought this will be a long afternoon and our concerns were answered when again a mix up in the middle from a defensive freekick Occold had us on the back foot again and with 3 shots on target and 3 goals they didn’t really have to work to hard due to our silly mistakes. As the half went on we tried to get some confidence on the ball and made a couple of chances and eventually we got a goal back.
Half time talk was to cut out the mistakes and look after the ball! With the wind now behind us we pushed and controlled long spells of the half and it was only a matter of time before we scored. With 10 minutes left on the clock we got a goal back from a corner, Ben crossed the ball to the far post where Migs was waiting with eyes shut and headed the ball in to make it 3-2. We pushed till the final whistle but just couldn’t get the equaliser! A more respectable score line at 3-2 after such a poor slow start, which at one point we thought we were in for a hammering!
Numbers are looking better for this weeks away trip to Whitton United A’s

Club profile

Posted: Thursday, March 7 2019 by Andrew Shave

The views expressed in club/league notes are not necessarily those of Archant Suffolk

Can't see your club?

If you can't find your club, we need your help!

All our pages are provided and updated by the clubs themselves. Use the link below to find out more.

Become a correspondent

Already a correspondent?

If you've already registered with us as a correspondent, use the link below to go to your admin page where you can add match reports, club notes, and update your club profile.

Correspondent menu

Most read

Championship League table


League One table